Joanne

Joanne

Lucky - Alice Sebold, Claudia Valeria Letizia This book was horrible. But in a good way. It's a memoir from the author of "The Lovely Bones" detailing her brutal rape at the age of 18, and her journey through dealing with the effects of this, the catching and trial of the rapist and the events that followed. I felt a general feeling of disgust throughout reading this book, from the excruciating detail in which the rape is described, to the antagonistic defence attorney, who did everything he could to discredit her, banking on the fact that most rape victims are too scared or ashamed to testify, trying to find some reason she "brought it on herself" and seemed disappointed that she hadn't been drinking or wearing tight-fitting clothes and that she was a virgin, as though any of those has any bearing on a man deciding he's going to do whatever the hell he wants regardless of whether a woman wants him to or not. It made me sick and enraged to read it, but it tells an important story and I'm glad I read it.