Joanne

Joanne

A Discovery of Witches  - Deborah Harkness

I'm a bit torn on this one. On the one hand I found it an incredibly addictive book and I would put it down, only to think about the next time I could read more. I was engaged in the story, interested in the characters, and didn't find any of it boring, not even the science-y parts.

On the other hand, there were parts that made it clear that this was the author's first novel and that she could have used a stricter editor. Despite being engaged in the story, the book was waaayyy too long and I felt like I would think back to events that had happened several hundred pages before and couldn't believe it was all from the same book.

It's also a pet peeve of mine when authors feel the need to describe what clothes their characters put on every morning. I don't care, not one little bit. Description of people's clothing is not character development, lol.

Also there were points when I found the writing a bit unclear. I would re-read passages or turn back to the previous page sometimes, not sure if I had missed something. Sometimes I just kept going, still a little confused. And the ending kind of left me hanging, which I don't like. I believe books and movies, if done properly, should exist independently, and reading or watching all of them should only enhance the experience, not be required.

Overall I would rate it 4 stars. I wanted to rate it 5 stars because of how intensely I was craving reading it, but I just can't do it.